Vice President’s message, Dec 2016

I am writing this message from sunny Tasmania, and came over on my trusty GSX1100 outfit specifically to attend the Historic Motorcycle Racing meeting at Symmonds Plains over the weekend of 19 and 20th November. The meeting was extremely well run, the program kept to schedule and the racing and machines were world class.

A bonus was perfect weather and a relatively mishap-free weekend for competitors. My favourite machines were JAP engined in Norton featherbed frames machines and an immaculate Ducati Imola Replica. And of course, all-time favourites of mine – the sidecar racing. Victorian young lady rider Stacey Heaney rode well, as she always does, in a variety of classes and bikes.

If the event is run again next year it could be considered for a club interstate ride, especially if the Ross Bike show follows the race weekend as it did this year, with a week of magnificent riding between events. How good would that be?!

After catching up with family (I am an ex Tasmanian) and a few days riding on the east coast catching up with old mates, I contracted Labyrinthitis (inner ear viral infection), who knows how, my riding for the rest of my time in Tas. was curtailed somewhat. I was looking forward to attending the Ross Bike Show on Sunday 27th but sadly had to be chauffeured by car as dizziness is not good for motorcycling.

I was sorry to miss the 2nd Rosco’s Brunch Run in a row, due to being interstate, but heartened by the attendance and read that the weather was very good. I am sure those who attended had an enjoyable day.

Coming up in December is the always looked forward to Christmas breakup at Polly Smith’s property in Cockatoo. By the time you have read this message the occasion would have come and gone, hopefully on a nice day weather-wise and well attended. This occasion is not only a premium club event, but also an appropriate legacy to our past President and mate John Stock (Stocky).

I was saddened to hear of the passing of past member Alf Berry, our condolences to his family and friends.

As this is the last President’s message of the year, on behalf of the extended committee, I would like to wish members and families a Merry Christmas and a prosperous, healthy and happy 2017.

I am sure Burger will be back to writing the February 2017 President’s message, so thanks for putting up with my ramblings over the last few months and I look forward to seeing you on a ride over the summer period. Until then, always ride safely and in a responsible manner (I know you all do).

Merry Christmas.
Ian Snadden.
Vice President.